Ingredients to makes about 12 cookies
300g good quality plain chocolate
optional-add 100g milk chocolate
100g light muscovado sugar
85g butter, at room temperature
100g crunchy peanut butter
1 medium egg
half a teaspoon vanilla extract
100g self-raising flour
1. Heat the oven to 180C/fan or gas mark 4
2. Chop 200g of the plain chocolate into a bowl. Melt in the microwave on medium power for about one or two minutes.
3. Stir the chocolate until completely melted then tip in the sugar, butter, peanut butter, egg and vanilla. Beat until well mixed then stir in the self-raising flour
4. The mixture will feel quite soft and drop easily from the spoon when shaken.
5. Drop spoonfuls of the mixture onto paper lined baking sheets leaving room for the cookies to spread.
6. Sprinkle the remaining broken bits of chocolate onto the top of the cookies.
7. Bake for about 10 to 12 mins until the cookies are darker around the edges. They will be softer in the middle and crunchy on the outside. Cook for a few minutes longer for a crisper cookie.
8. Leave the cookies to cool on the baking sheet for about five minutes then transfer to a wire cooling rack.
They will keep for about 4 or 5 days in an airtight tin.